Saturday, July 20, 2013

Beautiful Disaster Book Review



               Author: Jamie McGuire

               Paperback, 418 Pages

                Series: Beautiful #1

             Published August 14, 2012

                  Goodreads Link






Goodreads Synopsis: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

Cover: The cover is really cute! At first I wasn't sure as to how it correlates to the story itself, however, after reading it, I found the butterfly to resemble Abby. She is innocent and trapped in a world that is all perfect and dandy. Not sure if it is accurate, but that is how I see it.

Plot: Okay, lets get this started. The plot of this novel is extremely chaotic. There is a lot of drama, love, fighting, joking, kissing, arguing, and just much more. The beginning of the story was really cute. The bad boy meets the good girl kind of thing, you know. Abby being the good girl, and Travis of course being the bad guy. Their relationship started off flirty and I enjoyed that. I found it cute. Their actual relationship began with a bet. Now as the story goes on you begin to see how much of a stubborn person both Abby and mostly Travis can be. That was the part that irked me. I understand that relationships are not perfect and dandy, however towards the end of the novel I found myself very frustrated at the stubbornness that was taking place between Abby and Travis. I wanted them to get their heads checked and stop the nonsense that was taking place. I actually was pretty annoyed with the novel during the last hundred pages, but the end really made the book worthwhile, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Characters:
Abby Abernathy: Abby is such a sweet Angel who never drinks, swears and cares about school. She reminded me a lot of myself, and I could really relate to her, especially when it came to the relationship with Maddox and doubts that she had about him. I felt like I was in her shoes throughout the novel, and understood her arguments and uncertainties. I definitely loved her as a protagonist!

Travis Maddox: Oh, the bad hot guy who is just so hot and bad. He's really stubborn but at the same time has a really good heart and has pure intentions when it comes to Abby. It does take him a while to get there, but overall, he pulls through, and I began to really like him. *coughs, like, like, him. Lol.

America: America is Abby's best friend, and I absolutely love her! She is a bad ass who stands up for Abby and is always there for her when she is needed. She is a true friend, and I loved her character! She reminded me of Vee from the Hush,Hush Saga in many ways. She was a great character!

Writing: I felt that the writing of this novel was very easy to follow and really energetic! I loved the writing. Good job McGuire!

Rating: Though some parts of the book really aggravated me, the ending pulled out great and saved the book from a 3 star rating to a 4 out of 5 stars! I think you should definitely pick it up! Especially if you have read and enjoyed Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry.                           

No comments:

Post a Comment