Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Revenants Trilogy by Amy Plum Review





     Good afternoon! About a week ago I finished the last book of the Revenants Trilogy by Amy Plum, and let me just say, I absolutely love these books! This has to be one of my favorite series, ever. Now, to share my love and fascination of these novels, I will review the series as a whole, with absolutely no spoilers whatsoever. So if you haven't read any of these books, don't worry, this review is just an overall summarization of what the first book is about, and what to look forward to in the rest.I will review these books in a formal structure where I will discuss the cover, plot, characters and overall writing. So let's get started, shall we?

-A trilogy as a whole:


Cover: Now, if you haven't noticed, the covers of each one of these novels are absolutely gorgeous! Simple, yet elegant. I love how they have stayed consistent throughout the whole trilogy. I know that I am not a fan of publishers changing the cover of a series when they are still coming out. The colors are really pretty and natural, which ultimately highlight the city of Paris, which I absolutely love. Overall, I would not mind having these three books on my bookshelf!


Plot: The first book, Die For Me, introduces us to Kate, a sixteen year old girl who has just lost both of her parents to a terrible car accident. After her loss, she moves from Brooklyn to live with her grandparents in the city of Paris with her older sister Georgia. In the beginning, she is grieving over the loss of her parents, which is normal for any individual, and has a hard time getting back up on her feet. She prefers to be alone, and loses all contact with her friends back at home. One day, while touring the city of Paris and it's beauty, Kate comes across this hot looking hunk, who's name happens to be Vincent. Did I mention hot? Oh, I did. Lets move on, shall we. Anyways, upon discovering Vincent, she starts to figure out that he is not what he seems to be. Which is human. No, Vincent isn't any regular hot guy. Vincent is a revenant. A revenant is a creature that has the ability to live on forever, but in the process, their duty is save those from possible death. If in any case they were to sacrifice their own body in the attempt to save an individual, their body is able to be healed, and they will come back to life. It is an on going cycle between life and death. Only the death part isn't necessarily real. Now, as you can imagine, this is a difficult realization for Kate to take in, due to the fact that she has just lost her parents, and doesn't ever want to think about death. In the book Die For Me, Kate and Vincent's relationship is off to a new start, and we are able to witness their attempts to make it all work for the sake of love.


The last to books are continuations of their relationship, and all that they have, and will, go through.


Overall, I loved the idea of this trilogy! Though the romance may have been cliche in the beginning, the overall idea of a revenant was fairly new to me, and I absolutely enjoyed that. There was action, suspense, romance, and heart breaks, (mostly of my own).


Characters:


Kate: Kate is a fierce, hardworking, dedicated, loving, and intelligent protagonist. I absolutely loved her! She took no bull from anyone, and made sure her voice was always heard. She never took no for an answer, when reminds me of myself, might I add. I really enjoyed reading the novel from her point of view, and overall, found her really interesting.


Vincent: Yes, now I get to talk about the hot guy. Woo. Anyways, Vincent is a leader who is strong, willing, brave, loving, witty, and really charismatic. I just loved him. He always made me laugh throughout the novel, and I thought he was a perfect match for Kate.


Georgia: At first, I really didn't enjoy her character, especially not in the first book. However, as the story goes on, especially in the second and third book, her love and support for Kate really shine, and I really start to enjoy her character more.



Jules: Jules is Vincent's best friend, who, of course, is also a revenant. He is a big flirt, especially towards Kate. I really enjoyed that about him. He always made things more light and funny. Ah, and he is such a cutie :*.


Ambrose: Ambrose, a kindred of Vincent, is the muscle of the group, without a doubt. He is so sweet to Kate, and I definitely enjoyed his character. He never failed to make me laugh!

Writing: Amy Plum's writing was really enjoyable, and easy to get lost into. I often found myself deep inside of the book, unaware of my outer surroundings. I really love when a novel and it's writing can do that for me, so overall, I was extremely pleased! :) Way to go, Amy Plum.




Overall, I give this trilogy as a whole, a 5 out of 5 stars!






I absolutely enjoyed each book to the fullest, and I'm even thinking about re-reading the first book this summer. I hope you enjoyed my review, and please, go read this trilogy! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment